Tuesday, June 25, 2013

WOWJAM




So yesterday I went to volunteer at a WOWJAM for those of who don’t know, it is a large city wide event that is free to the General public. It is hosted by Stephen and Linda Tavani (Linda is Peaches from Peaches & Herb J ) and they throw a huge party with resources and events for families. Most families that come are from a low socioeconomic background. The whole purpose of the event though is to show the LOVE of CHRIST and give them free stuff like bikes, groceries etc.!

Though I went to help and volunteer, I was shocked at how much it ministered to me. Can I be real for a minute here...I once was a person who was depressed and even suicidal in my teenage years. We’re not talking those 1st world problems here, we are talking real issues. At one point my life was so low that I contemplated and made real plans on how to end it. I had heard some kids talking in church one day about if you go to hell for committing suicide so I eavesdropped, and there seemed to be no consensus about the answer. That worried me; I didn't want to spend eternity in Hell, and the uncertainty of it all made me pause. So in efforts to avoid Hell, I thought twice about going through with and thought I would endure hell on earth a little while longer. I remained depressed until a few years ago and I finally began to come out of the darkness with the help of self- assessments, therapists and God of course. Anyways, I say this because that seemed to be a major issue with people yesterday at the WOWJAM. There were many families who responded to the altar call and I could see pain dripping off of people.
Jambalaya Lunch for the crowd



There were young people crying, mothers crying and children yearning for God. Then they pulled a young man on stage, probably 12 years old and he was bawling and shaking and I think everyone took a deep breath in when they saw him. This young man looked like he had been through some deep emotional hurt. So I cried. I remembered my days in what I considered an emotional hole I couldn't get out of…So many feelings of shame, hurt, betrayal and pure confusion…


God is not the author of any of that. Through him ALONE I became free. It took some effort on my part though. I had to read to see what this bible was really about. I started with a kid’s bible and then I went online to get further explanations about parts I didn’t understand and I read MANY Christian blogs and my life changed within a matter of 2 months. I started to understand how God really feels about me, and that what I wanted to impart to every soul I met yesterday at the WOWJAM. What a glorious experience and what a Glorious God I serve. Praise his name!













Wednesday is Skid Row WOWJAM
Saturday is South Central J


1 comment: